The Pre IB – Summer Revision Course is designed explicitly for students who will begin their 1st IB Diploma year after the summer. You will choose 2 – 4 major IB subjects. Each subject will be combined with a minor IB-related subject (see list below).
All important IB subjects are offered, helping to introduce you to the IB syllabus and prepare you thoroughly for the IB Diploma.
This compact course setting allows you to study 2 or 4 IB subjects in a 1 or 2 week setting and concentrate on just one subject at a time. This model helps students to remain academically focused and motivated throughout their stay and accomplish a great amount of work.
In addition, students will make many new friends from around the world and enjoy fun and inspiring free-time activities and trips during our PRE IB – Summer Course Programme. The time here in the charming city of Vienna will be precious and unforgetable.
What to expect:
- Study 2 – 4 major IB subjects during this course
- Each subject plus a minor subject will be reviewed extensively for 3 compact days (17.5 hours)
- Talented IB teachers (with 10-30 years of IB experience each) many of who are recognized IBO-examiners and from excellent IB schools will guide you
- Small class size (usually 5-8 students)
- Each 3-day study unit is followed by 1-2 rest days
- A choice of additional optional short courses
- Many different optional free time activities on your rest days
- 24-hour care
- Pick-up & drop-off available for boarding students
- At the end of your stay you will receive a course certificate as well as a written subject report by each of your subject specialists
- Study one subject at a time
- Deepen your understanding of the important concepts of the IB Diploma syllabus and receive an excellent overview of what will be expected of you next fall
- Study and review subject matter thoroughly
- Learn how to improve your course work and how to do well on IBDP internal assessments
- Make many new friends from around the world, have a highly productive studying experience together, and discover jointly the trendy and charming city of Vienna!
ON-SITE – PRE IB Summer Revision:
July 17 – August 1st, 2023
Main Arrival Day: July 16th
Main Departure Day: August 2nd
Total revision hours per IB subject course (15hrs) + Minor IB subject (2.5hrs): 17.5
Study Unit 1: July 17-19 (3 days = 18 hrs revision)
Rest Day: July 20
Study Unit 2: July 21-23 (3 days = 18 hrs revision)
Rest Day: July 24
Rest Day: July 25
Study Unit 3: July 26-28 (3 days = 18 hrs revision)
Rest Day: July 29
Study Unit 4: July 30-Aug 1 (3 days = 18 hrs revision)
|STUDY UNIT 1:
||July 20: free
|STUDY UNIT 2:
||July 24 & 25: free
|STUDY UNIT 3:
||July 29: free
|STUDY UNIT 4:
||August 2: departure day
Subjects and Classes
The Pre IB – Summer Revision Course consists of 2 0r 4 major and 2 0r 4 minor IB-related subjects. In addition, students are invited to enroll in any of our “optional short courses” (please see “optional short courses”).
Students have a REST DAY between subjects and are invited to join any of our many fun free time activities or just meet up with their friends in the city.
A personal daily schedule will be emailed to you, as soon as we have processed your registration.
The major IB subjects (15 hrs per subject): Please pick one subject in each group below.
- Language or The Arts: English A, English B or Visual Arts, Music, Theatre
- Mathematics: Math Analysis & Approaches, Math Applications & Interpretation
- Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Comp. Science, ESS or Physics
- Individuals & Societies: Geography, History, Business Management, Economics or Psychology
The minor IB-related subjects (2.5 hrs per subject): These subjects will be added automatically to your schedule.
- Introduction to Theory of Knowledge (TOK)
- Graphical Calculator Skills
- Introduction to Extended Essay & CAS
- Introduction to Science Internal Assessment (IA)
Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay, together, are worth 3 IB Diploma points – maximizing your score here, can make a real difference to your overall points score. Again, these sessions will introduce the IB requirements and allow you some time to practice your basic skills.
Graphical Calculator Skills are absolutely essential to score well in IB Math. They are a requirement for mathematics and will save valuable time during the exam. They are also extremely useful in many other subjects.
Science Internal Assessment is a crucial component in science. An excellent score in your IA can make quite a difference to your final IB grade. In this session, you will be introduced to Internal Assessment in Science. You will learn about the IB marking system and how it will be applied to your work. You will also practice some of the skills you will need, such as ‘Experimental Design’ and ‘‘Data Presentation’.
Having a sound understanding of what will be required of you during your IB Diploma years, will enable you to plan your time and make the most efficient and effective use of it. Knowing where the goals are and keeping the target in mind will help keep you motivated through two tough years.
||Individuals & Societies:
|English A Language & Literature HL/SL
||Business & Management HL
|English A Literature HL/SL
||Business & Management SL
|English B HL
|English B SL
||Computer Science HL/SL
|Visual Arts HL
|Visual Arts SL
||Math Analysis & Approaches HL
||Math Analysis & Approaches SL
||Math Applications & Interpretation HL
||Math Applications & Interpretation SL
Optional Short Courses
We offer a range of optional short courses to our PRE – IB students during our Summer Programme – please look for our list of optional short courses and more details under our next point below!
Magnificent 5-day Alpine CAS Adventure:
Duration: 5 days
Setting: Creativity, Activity, Service – group
Cost: 1350 € (5 nights incl. entire programme and half board, 24/7 care)
Date: July 11th-16th (Tuesday-Sunday)
CAS CERTIFICATE: each student will receive a certificate with exact dates, hours and description of the accomplished programme and CAS duties.
Are you interested in being inspired by your CAS programme and/or get inspiration for your CAS programme in a unique traditional alpine setting? Then come and attend our unique 5-day CAS trip to beautiful Mariazell in the Ötscher region, only 1.5 hrs away from our Vienna Camp. If you also wish to have this experience recognised for CAS hours then check back with your CAS Coordinator at your IB school prior to joining us!
Among immersion into old Austrian culture & traditions of a mountain village, you will volunteer in a village kindergarten, help waiting in a traditional inn, experience life on a farm, breathtaking mountain hikes and spend a night in a typical ‘Schutzhaus’ near the Ötscher peak, whilst discovering the secrets of this nature park with our nature guide.
You will also be helping clean up this magnificent national park… And, yes, you will be experiencing some unique evenings in one of Austria’s very authentic spots…
CAS should be fun and also challenging – it should allow students to enhance their personal and interpersonal development. It should encourage learning through experience! This is why our Alpine CAS trip is a perfect fit for Pre IB- and Mid IB students!
Pre-IB students will be introduced to IB CAS (Creativity, Activity and Service) and focus on their chosen CAS activities and duties.
- Mid-IB students will focus on their various CAS duties, as each day’s experiences will include activities that allow them to address ALL the essential learning outcomes required of the program.
Time for reflection is built in for all, with a focus on the 21st century skills such as collaboration, problem solving, decision-making, self-management as well as “giving back”.
You can combine this trip with up to 4 PRE IB subject revision sessions on our campus in Vienna. More details to this trip you will find under ‘Alpine CAS Adventure’ in menu point ‘Our Courses‘…
We look forward to your application!
Duration: 4 hours
Cost: 300 €
Academic writing is an important part of the IB curriculum. Whether within the extended essay, TOK, Language A or any Internal Assessment, the use of a good essay structure, clear sentences, linkage of ideas, as well as correct spelling and punctuation are fundamental. You will also have the opportunity to dive into the area of analyzing meaning of texts. This and more is the focus of this highly recommendable 4-hour workshop.
Language A – Essay Writing Skills:
Duration: 3 hours
Setting: Small Group
Cost: 250 €
Language A – Essay Writing Skills is an essential know-how to do well in any Language A written exam, no matter the language. This 3-hour course is hence extremely helpful for all Language A students, also those with mother tongues other than English (e.g. Swedish, Arabic, Dutch, Russian, etc) to brush up on their essay writing and receive important information about what is crucial to write a strong IB ‘Language A’ essay.
Time Management & Study Skills:
Duration: 2 hours
Cost: 200 €
Time management as well as ‘how to study’ effectively are crucial for success at IBDP level and beyond. Our instructor will help you acquire some good insight and provide you with tools to allow you establish important skills and routines in this area of learning.
Duration: 1.5 hours
Setting: small group
Cost: 180 €
This exciting workshop will offer students tools and techniques to enhance their memorising ability. In a fun way they will be experiencing how their brain and memory works and how they can boost it. Students will also become more aware of their own individual strengths and weaknesses and offered tricks to tackle challenging situations when large amount of detail need be memorised and replicated.
Duration: 1 hour
Cost: 180 €
More and more students are overwhelmed with the many requirements the IB, upcoming university admission procedures, etc bring with them. Their diverse reactions (e.g. sleeplessness, worries, exam anxiety, attentional issues, headaches, tummy aches) can be symptoms of stress and not knowing how to deal with all what is going on. This consultation will be held in a supportive ‘one-to-one’ manner offering highly personalized strategies & tipps.
Duration: 1 hour
Cost: 150 €
Private tuition is sometimes requested by students to get the opportunity of focusing on very individual questions with one of our IB specialists. We will try to facilitate such ‘one-to-one’ sessions where possible.
GETTING TO AND FROM VIENNA –Vienna has low price flight connections with all the major European cities, as well as excellent road and rail links. Whichever mode of transport you decide to use, you will be met at your arrival point in the city, and delivered safely to your accommodation. Usually, transfer times are no more than 45 minutes.
Students MUST have full medical and liability insurance – proof of which will be required at the beginning of the course. Holiday insurance to cover against loss of personal items is a sensible precaution. Insurance against late cancellation due to illness etc. should also allow you to claim for a refund of course fees, if necessary.
Having the relevant travel documents is important. You can visit the website at https://www.bmeia.gv.at to obtain details of visa requirements. EU citizens do not require a visa.
If you are not sure whether you require a visa, please contact your consulate.
COVID – PRECAUTIONS ON CAMPUS (this section will be updated regularly)
- To ensure maximum safety during our camp, all students who join us on camp will need to be fully vaccinated and bring along their proof of vaccination as well as a negative covid test.
- All students will be monitored carefully (eg. regular temperature checks) while with us in Vienna and may also be expected to test when needed while with us.
- Social distancing and hygiene (regular washing and disinfecting of hands) plus the wearing of face masks while indoors will likely still be the golden standard in Austria next summer. Students are therefore asked to bring their personal supplies along to our camp.
- Rooms and en-suite bathrooms will be cleaned and disinfected by our cleaning staff.
- Our ask: we need all students’ support to be safe while together and appreciate your all commitment!
More information about Austrian Covid requirements for tourists:
Per IB subject course 4 nights accommodation in Vienna are required. Our accommodation fees include our exceptional 24/7 care, en-suite facilities, our yummy breakfast buffet and free time activities on our beautiful campus.
(1) Single room with en-suite facilities: 120€ per night
(2) Shared room with en-suite facilities (2 or 3 students of one gender per room): 85€ per night
Pick-up & Drop-off
We are happy to offer you pick-up and drop-off at your point of destination and departure. Cost for this service: 50€
||Course Fee/Day Student Fee*
|1 Subject (3 days/18 hrs)
*Course Fee/Day Student Fee: includes daily 3-course lunch, coffee breaks with snacks & refreshments, free wifi, many free time activities and daytime care. Accommodation is not included in the course fee and will be added when you sign-up to board with us during your stay.